CVHC’s Preparedness Awareness is a digital journal of regional knowledge and resources relevant to the education and preparedness healthcare facility based emergency management programs in the Central Region of Virginia.
Additionally, CVHC’s Preparedness Awareness TV will offer video lectures, interviews, and training for the education and preparedness healthcare facility based emergency management programs in the Central Region of Virginia.
- Strategies for PPE During COVID – 19Healthcare systems across Central Virginia and the United States are experiencing personal protective equipment (PPE) supply chain challenges. Due to decreases in PPE exports from impacted countries and increases in demand as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, manufacturers of select types of PPE- including N95 respirators and facemasks- are reporting increased volume of orders […]
- Emerging Disease CoronavirusVolume 2. Issue 2 – January 28, 2020 The CDC is monitoring an outbreak of a novel coronavirus (respiratory illness) named 2019-nCoV. It was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China and believed to have originated from a live animal market. Unfortunately, it seems to have evolved from animal-to-person spread to person-to-person. This situation […]
- Influenza (Flu) OutbreakVolume 2. Issue 1 – January 22, 2020 Influenza is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can range from mild to severe with serious outcomes resulting in possible hospital stays or death. Pediatrics, geriatrics, and people with compromised immune systems or certain health conditions (*diabetics, HIV/AIDS, pregnant women, asthmatics, cancer) are at […]
- Hurricane Preparedness – Before, During, and AfterVolume 1. Issue 6. – August 30, 2019 Hurricanes are large storm systems formed over warm oceans and track toward land. These systems can cause powerful winds, heavy rainfall, storm surges, flooding, increased rip currents, and the formation of tornadoes (often multiple). Secondary effects of these storms will result in power outages, downed trees and […]
- Legionella Bacteria and Legionnaires DiseaseVolume 1. Issue 5 – August 7, 2019 Legionella Bacteria– Potential Outbreak in Central Region, Virginia Legionella is a bacteria found to be naturally occurring in streams and rivers. When it is aerosolized by man-made machines such as pools, fountains, HVAC units, misting devices, or cooling towers it can cause the respiratory illness named Legionnaires […]