March 19 @ 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Disaster Management and Emergency Preparedness Course
The one-day Disaster and Emergency Preparedness (DMEP) course teaches planning methods, preparedness, and medical management of trauma patients in mass casualty disaster situations. Through lecture and interactive scenarios, health care providers learn incident command terminology, principles of disaster triage, injury patterns, and availability of assets for support.
The intended audience includes acute care providers—surgeons; anesthesiologists; emergency medicine physicians; emergency room, operating room, intensive care unit, and trauma nurses; and prehospital professionals—who will most likely be the first receivers of casualties following major disasters. Other health care providers, administrators, public health personnel, and emergency managers are also encouraged to attend.
- Understand the surgical problems, injury patterns, and issues that may result from disasters
- Discuss the role that surgeons can play in planning for and responding to mass casualty incidents and disasters, especially at the hospital level
- Become familiar with the terms and concepts of incident command
- Understand the principles and challenges of disaster triage
- Become familiar with treatment principles related to blast injury, chemical attacks, and radiological dispersal devices
- Know the civilian and military assets available for support
Continuing Medical Education Credit Information
The American College of Surgeons is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
The American College of Surgeons designates this live activity for a maximum of 7.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Of the AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ listed above, a maximum of 7.5 credits meet the requirements for Self-Assessment.
Registration will be through an online application and will be updated as get closer to the date.